Beef and Butternut Squash Curry Recipe by Freda Shafi
Freda Shafi is a Yorkshire based passionate foodie, mum of two, blogger, food stylist and content editor of thefeedfeed.com. Freda’s specialises in South Asian cuisine, creating dishes with an exciting variety of deliciously rich and exotic flavours. This month Freda brings us her Beef and Butternut Squash Hurry Curry. This gorgeous root vegetable in a spicy one-pot curry-style meal that is so easy to create.
Freda said: “It’s beginning to cool down here in Yorkshire as we head into autumn. With some beautiful seasonal vegetables lining the store shelves, my favourite winter warmer has to be butternut squash. It’s so versatile and fabulous in stews or even enough on its own, simply baked with a few spices. I called it my ‘Hurry Curry Beef and Butternut Squash’ as it’s a great after school dinner for the children and so easy to put together using a few brilliant hacks if you’re in a hurry, (which every mother can empathise with) to get the family fed.”
Beef and Butternut Squash Hurry Curry Recipe by Freda Shafi
Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
800g finely sliced beef tenderised (any boneless cut will do)
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
800g / 3/4 butternut squash peeled and chopped into large cubes
3 chopped tomatoes or 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 heaped tsp turmeric
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil or ghee to stir fry
Small bunch of fresh coriander
Sweet mild red chillies to garnish (optional)
Steamed basmati rice to serve
- Heat the oil/ghee in a large saucepan, then add the chopped onions and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium/ high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and continue to sauté for a further five minutes until all ingredients are translucent and golden brown.
- Add the beef and stir-fry for a few minutes until the outer edges become sealed.
- Add the tomatoes and stir through.
- Throw in the rest of spices including salt and continue to stir for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Introduce the butternut squash and add 500ml of hot water to cover the ingredients.
- Once it starts to bubble, turn down the heat and allow it to slow cook/simmer for 30-40 mins until the butternut squash is soft and the beef is tender.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and sweet red chillies.
- Serve immediately over some steamed basmati rice. A perfect warming autumn meal for the whole family.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- York’s 5-Star hotel
- Served within the hotel’s striking Rise Restaurant with York city wall views
- SAVE up to 20%
- Afternoon Tea in the heart of Harrogate
- Valid 7-days a week
- SAVE 21%
- The ultimate luxury hideaway experience
- Award-winning spa facilities
- SAVE 30%
- Enjoy three different Spanish wines and cheeses, and learn how to pour wine the traditional Spanish way.
- SAVE 10%
- Spanish Afternoon Tea with a glass of Cava
- Stunning Leeds city centre restaurant
- SAVE 17%