Chicken Curry Recipe: Henderson’s Relish Strong and Northern Cookbook
Following the success of their 2014 cookbook, Henderson’s Relish’s follow up title ‘Strong and Northern’ showcases the spicy Yorkshire sauce in all its glory. Here’s just one of the delicious recipes featured within the book. For a limited time, get the book for only £16 including free postage and packaging. SAVE 33%.
Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour marinating | Cooking time: approx. 40 minutes | Serves: 6
2 tsp salt
30g dried methi
100g butter, cubed
1 kg chicken thigh, diced
10 cloves of garlic
4 red chillies
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp coriander seeds
½ cinnamon stick
10 curry leaves
10 green cardamom pods
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp garam masala
5 black peppercorns
100g tinned chopped tomatoes
200g potatoes, diced
2 whole dried chillies, chopped
125ml red wine
Knob of fresh ginger, finely sliced
A good handful of fresh coriander
- Stir the yoghurt, salt, methi and butter together then coat the diced chicken in the mixture and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Meanwhile, grind the onion, garlic and red chillies to a paste with a pestle and mortar, or using a food processor.
- Transfer the chicken and marinade into a pan on low heat. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. At the same time in a separate pan, fry the onion paste in the butter and olive oil. Add the coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, curry leaves, cardamom pods, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin seeds, garam masala and peppercorns, then cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the spice mix and cook for a further 5 minutes. Using another pan, fry the potatoes and dried chillies in a little butter for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are golden.
- Add the spiced tomato sauce and the fried potatoes to the pan with the chicken, cook until the meat is tender then add the red wine.
- Fry the sliced ginger in a little butter until soft, then scatter this and the fresh coriander over the curry to serve, with Hendo’s on the table for the finishing touch.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
- Stunning 4 Star boutique hotel close to York Minster
- Includes Afternoon Tea or Seafood Platter
- SAVE 20%
- 90 minute ham carving experience with drinks, tastings and tutorials.
- SAVE 10%
- Insta-worthy Grade II listed townhouse hotel
- Close to York’s iconic Minster
- SAVE 21%
- Hand-crafted in Yorkshire
- Beautiful design, superb performance, rave reviews
- 5-year warranty
- SAVE 15%
- Victorian 4 Star hotel in the heart of Harrogate
- Choose from Traditional, Prosecco, Champagne or Gin & Tonic Afternoon Tea
- SAVE up to 22%