Malton Delivers! Indie businesses unite to adapt to COVID-19
Yorkshire’s Food Capital Producers Launch Artisan Delivery Service to Encourage Residents to Shop Local – Malton Delivers
Responding to temporary closures that have put pressure upon thousands of small businesses, bars, pubs and eateries across the country, Malton businesses have come together to launch delivery services so that the town’s residents can continue to support local independent producers.
Fondly known as Yorkshire’s Food Capital, owing to its usually thriving economy of artisan food and drink producers, the North Yorkshire market town of Malton is showing resilience once more as its small businesses unite to ensure the local community can continue to support the high street during these challenging times.
Businesses taking part in Malton Delivers
From this week, businesses launching delivery services to Malton and Ryedale residents include:
• Locally sourced meat and fish products from Food 2 Remember
• Homemade bread and baked goods from YO Bakehouse, Bluebird Bakery and The Patisserie
• Locally-produced beers and other drinks from Malton Brewery, Brass Castle Brewery and McMillans of Malton
• Fresh meat products from The Hillcrest Farm Project and Nesfield & Piercy Family Butchers
• Fresh fruit, vegetables and groceries from Dales of Malton
Many proprietors are offering free delivery in the Malton area.
To make it easier for the local community to get their favourite local produce delivered to their door, an online directory – Malton Delivers – has been set up by Norton design agency Ten Fathoms, listing details of all businesses in the area which are now offering delivery services and alternative shopping arrangements.
Tom Naylor-Leyland, Director of Visit Malton, commented: “The quick thinking of small businesses in the area and commitment to delivering to local residents who are unable to leave their homes is incredibly heartening at a time when community spirit is so important. Malton champions independent businesses and artisan food producers whose livelihood depends on the support of residents in shopping locally. The launch of delivery services across Ryedale will ensure the continued operation of these fantastic businesses during challenging trading conditions and will help safeguard the future of our high street.”
Donna Middleditch of Ten Fathoms added: “We saw first-hand that there has been a disconnect between the larger supermarkets – which have fast been running out of stock – and the smaller local businesses, who have plenty of stock but have perhaps seen less footfall in recent weeks. We wanted to help the local community by setting up a hub for them to use as a directory when ordering food. We hope that by using our skills in design we can do our bit to help!”
Yorkshire’s Food Capital
Malton is highly regarded for its culinary scene, hosting a number of popular food and drink events throughout the year, as well as town food tours. The town itself boasts specialist bakeries, butchers, a coffee roastery, a gin distillery, three independent breweries and a master pâtissier among its producers. Malton Delivers will help the community order in the essentials and wider products that they would usually be able to easily access from the town’s well-stocked high street.
Following the introduction of delivery services in recent days, YO Bakehouse has already had to reinstate an old phone line to cope with the additional demand. Florian Poirot, the owner of the eponymous patisserie in Talbot Yard, has introduced a ‘Survival Box’ which will feature a choice of four or six desserts which will be different each week. Delivery for these is free to Malton or York.
For more information on Malton Delivers, please visit www.maltondelivers.co.uk
For a full list of businesses in the Ryedale area that remains open, please visit https://www.rye-charter.org.uk/ryedale-open-for-business—coronavirus
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
- Magnificent stately home near Harrogate
- Michelin recommended dining
- SAVE 25%
- Set in the tranquil surroundings of The Coniston Estate
- A fusion of Yorkshire ingredients with an Asian flare
- SAVE 22%
- Stunning York city centre boutique hotel
- Choose from Traditional, Prosecco or York Gin Afternoon Tea
- SAVE up to 20%
- Unlimited starters from the chef’s table
- Choice of roasts or alternative mains
- SAVE up to 24%
- Bringing authentic Indian street food from the bustling streets of India to Leeds
- Outstanding reviews in the national and regional press
- SAVE 25%