Chocolate Souffle Recipe with Praline Ice Cream
If you’re looking to enhance those culinary skills a bit further than your signature dishes, or fancy yourself as the next GBBO contestant then mastering the art of the perfect souffle is a definite dish you’ll need to learn. This Chocolate Souffle Recipe from The Cookery School at The Grand will have you turning out perfectly risen souffle in no time at all.
Located within York’s 5 Star Hotel, The Grand – The Cookery School provides a unique and fun day out for cooks and bakers of all abilities. Offering a tempting selection of 43 classes, from ‘Perfect Pastry’ to ‘Around East Asia’ and ‘Vegetarian Dinner Party’ – there’s a range of classes to suit everyone’s interests.
Don’t miss your chance to save an exclusive 25% off half and full-day cookery classes at The Cookery School at The Grand.
Chocolate Souffle Recipe with Praline Ice Cream from The Cookery School at The Grand, York
Step One: Praline Ice Cream
300ml full-fat milk
200ml double cream
50g praline paste
6 egg yolks
- Place the milk and half the cream into a saucepan, bring the mixture to the boil, and then take off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar together then add the warm milk to the eggs and mix well with the whisk.
- Add the mixture back into the saucepan and cook on a medium heat, whilst stirring in a figure of 8.
- Cook until the mixture starts to thicken (80°C – 82°C), taking care not to boil the mixture or it will split and scramble.
- Once cooked, take off the heat. Add the praline paste and mix well, then pour the mixture onto the remaining cream. Mix well and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, pass through a sieve, keeping the liquid and discarding the waste in the sieve.
- Churn the cream in an ice cream machine until smooth and creamy, and place in the freezer until needed.
- The perfect accompaniment to your chocolate souffle recipe.
Step Two: Chocolate Souffle
Makes 4 ramekins
Soft butter, for lining the moulds
Grated chocolate, for lining the moulds
150g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
50ml double cream
2 egg yolks
125g egg whites
50g caster sugar
- Line the ramekin bases and sides with the butter, using a pastry brush to evenly cover bottom to top and making sure there are no gaps. Place in the fridge to chill and repeat 3 times. After the third layer, line the moulds with grated chocolate and tip out any excess. Do not place back into the fridge.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, then add the cream and mix well.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and leave to cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the egg yolks and mix well, leaving to cool slightly but not allowing to cool completely.
- Place the egg whites and half the sugar into a bowl, then whisk until just starting to thicken. Add the remaining sugar and whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add half of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture, mixing gently until soft peaks form once again. Fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful not to knock the air out of the mixture.
- Divide the souffle mixture between the ramekins.
- To bake the soufflé, pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the ramekins onto a baking tray and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until well risen. Working carefully but quickly, take the soufflé out of the oven, dust with icing sugar and place onto a plate. Serve with a scoop of praline ice cream.
Enjoyed this Chocolate Souffle Recipe? View All Recipes
Your chance to save an exclusive 25% off half and full-day cookery classes at The Cookery School at The Grand.