Masterchef’s Matt Healy strives to feed 500 NHS workers
The Leeds born chef wants to put his Matt Healy x The Foundry Leeds kitchen to good use during the Coronavirus led, Government ordered shut down. It’s been a difficult few weeks for those in the hospitality industry, but the support from the people of Leeds to back local businesses has inspired Matt to get stuck in too.
Matt’s Sunday Roast, voted Britain’s Best Roast, was delivered to staff on the High Dependency Unit (HDU) of Bexley Wing, St James’ Hospital yesterday, along with flowers. Now Matt and the team want to do more. Matt said: “Front line workers for the NHS have their plates full, now more than ever, so we want to do something to say we appreciate all the incredibly hard work they’re putting in.”
The initial service was covered by Matt and his business partner, Marc Cunningham. They plan to do the same again next week but want to scale up the operation. They have launched an online fundraiser to cover some of the costs:
– The fundraising page hit £1k in the first hour and another £500 overnight
– The original aim was to feed 250 but it could be 500+
– The more money raised, the more NHS staff will receive a meal
Having hit their initial fundraising target within an hour, Matt decided to double the target from 250 meals to 500. For every £5 donated, the business will make up the difference to serve up one of their award-winning roasts with all the trimmings. With the current fundraising total (£1,550 at the time of writing), that’s already over 300 NHS staff that will receive a meal. The roast includes 12-hour roasted sirloin beef and roast chicken with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, roasted carrots, seasonal greens, cauliflower cheese and gravy.
Staff Nurse Em Brayne, who was working on the HDU yesterday, said: “It has truly made our day! Acts of kindness keep us going and it’s so encouraging to know the general public and businesses care about the work we do!”
Matt concluded: “We’re just cooking tea at the end of the day. But we saw the difference it made to the staff on shift. We show that we care with our food, and if we can show our appreciation in this small way, we will! Thanks to everyone so far that has contributed towards us bring some cracking food to some truly deserving people.”
Those wishing to help can contribute to the fundraiser by heading over to – https://bit.ly/Feed250NHSstaff
The Foundry Leeds Address: 1 Saw Mill St, Leeds LS11 5WH – 0113 245 0390
Matt Healy x The Foundry one of your favourite Leeds independents?
Support them at this testing time for the hospitality industry, by treating yourself to one of their discounted restaurant vouchers, valid for use within the first 3 months of the restaurant’s re-opening.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
- The north’s most highly awarded Indian restaurant
- Learn the secrets of great vegetarian Indian cuisine
- SAVE 15%
- Blend your own 70cl bottle of unique, personalised gin – customised to your individual tastes.
- SAVE 15%
- One of Leeds’ favourite dining destinations
- Spectacular views of the city
- Visit 7 days a week
- SAVE 25%
- Personalise a bottle of Masons gin or vodka
- Over 180 worldwide awards
- Includes free next working day delivery
- SAVE 10%
- Located within York’s 5 Star Hotel
- Expect modern British dishes with a Yorkshire twist
- SAVE 25%